It’s extremely hard for me to get excited about a salad but this recipe is definitely an exception. Thickly slicing the halloumi cheese and frying it to achieve a crisp, golden crunch gives it a more robust texture that could even convert a meat-lover. Combine the saltiness of the cheese with the tanginess of the salad dressing and you’ve got a perfectly balanced dish that’s great served as a starter or a light lunch.
Serves 2-3 as a starter
What you’ll need:
250g halloumi cheese
2 tbsp seasoned flour (flour with salt & pepper)
salad of your choice ( I use mixed leaves and wedged or diced vine tomatoes)
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp capers
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1.5 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1.5 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
1) Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
2) Pat the cheese dry with a paper towel.
3) Slice the cheese into 8 even strips (aprox. 1.5 cm) and squeeze lime juice over the top.
4) Coat all sides of the cheese in the seasoned flour.
5) Heat the oil in a pan and fry the slices of cheese until golden, aprox. 1 min on each side and drain on a paper towel.
6) Prepare the salad and pour the dressing over.
7) Serve the fried halloumi on a bed of the dressed salad and enjoy!
Till next time…Outskies!